Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween in Santa Fe

Happy All Saints Day!  Last night K and I went to the best Halloween party in town, the Santa Fe Reporter Party.  The Santa Fe Reporter is the free weekly newspaper in town here, sort of like the City Paper in DC.

K, true to form, made his costume in the span of 45 minutes.  He went as a lobster.


My favorite part of his costume were his eyes.  We made the eyes by sticking pipe cleaners in styrofoam spheres and then wrapping the pipe cleaners around a headband.

Cute!

I went as an octopus.


I made this costume by tie dying a sweatsuit and 4 additional arms cut off of other sweatshirts.  Then, I cut about 1 million circles out of felt and glued them to the arms and legs.  I stuffed the extra sweatshirt arms and sewed them to the hooded sweatshirt.  I was pleased with the result and the costume was nice and warm in the freezing night.

We also tortured Lucy by putting her bee costume on her.  She was not pleased but we sure were!


She's still getting over the indignity of it all.

So, then after having a couple of trick-or-treaters, we headed off to the Reporter Party.  It was a new place in town, Milagro 139.  It's downtown and across the street from the long-standing Evangelo's Bar.  The place was packed and there was a line to get in, which is a rare beast in Santa Fe.


Inside was full, too, and DJ Feathericci was pumping the jams. Feathericci is a DJ around town and seems to have something of a following here.  This was the first time I listened to him and, I gotta say, he was good.  Real good.
Here's the dance floor, taken from the above balcony.


I especially liked this Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew muppet duo costume:


After the Reporter Party, we headed over to the Catamount- which ended up having an only so-so Halloween party, and finally to one of our favorite dive bars of all time, The Matador, for a quick drink. 

So, that's what we did for Halloween.  It was a great night, even though I am freaking exhausted today.  So much dancing!


No comments:

Post a Comment