Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall Foliage

Yes, it is that time of year when everyone scurries up to the mountains to look at leaves.  We are no different.

On Friday evening, K and I drove up to Aspen Vista which is in the Santa Fe National Forest. It takes about 20 minutes or so to get there from downtown Santa Fe.  We went up to catch the sunset and hike around in the moonlight. 

This is what we saw:


The story is this large aspen stand was created by a fire many years ago.  The fire cleared out all of the pine trees which made room for the aspens.  Over time, the aspen stand is getting smaller and smaller as the pine trees encroach.  It's perfectly natural; the pine forest is the older stage of the forest.

We watched the sun go down, which was very beautiful.  Unfortunately, I don't have mad camera skills.  But I did the best I could:


We took the girls with us and a bottle of wine.

The girls hiking-



We crossed Big Tesuque creek:


We luxuriated:


We walked back to the car with the full moon:


It was beautiful and the girls liked it, too.

The following day K and I returned for the Big Tesuque Trail Run.  A race, unfortunately, I was not able to participate in this year.  K ran, though and beat his previous time.  I took some photos with K's camera that I haven't downloaded yet.  It will accompany a separate post hopefully later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment